What's special about this sealant?
- Water Base: Easy clean up, no special handling, routine disposal
- Intumescent: Expands when heated to maintain seal around items consumed by fire.
- Endothermic: Absorbs heat energy, releases chemically bound water
- Thixotropic: Will not sag or run in overhead or vertical applications
- Click for More Features
3M™ Fire Barrier IC 15WB Sealant is a latex sealant designed for use as a one-part fire, smoke, noxious gas and water sealant.
Please Note: These products ship in 5 Business days
|Part #||Package Size||Description||Price|
|FP-3M-IC15WB-T||10.1 oz Tube||Lightweight easy to handle. Perfect for smaller jobs.||
|FP-3M-IC15WB-P||4.5 gallon Pail||Great for bulk loading on large jobs. The most cost-effective way to caulk large areas.||
The unique intumescent property of this material (expands when heated) means that as the noncombustible pipe, cable or pipe insulation is consumed by fire, sealant expands to maintain the penetration seal.
IC 15WB Sealant features superior adhesion strength, sealant rate and no-sag application with UL Classified fire protection systems plus a halogen-free formula.
3M™ Fire Barrier IC 15WB Sealant can be installed with a standard caulking gun, pneumatic pumping equipment or it can be easily applied with a putty knife or trowel.
Sealant bonds to gypsum wallboard, concrete, metals, wood and cable jacketing. No mixing is required. Tool within 5 minutes of application, if required.
The firestopping sealant shall be a one-part, intumescent, latex elastomer. The sealant shall be capable of expanding a minimum of 2 times at 1000F. The material shall be thixotropic and be applicable to overhead, vertical and horizontal firestops. The sealant shall be listed by independent test agencies such as UL, FM or OPL and be tested to, and pass the criteria of, ASTM E 814 Fire Test, tested under positive pressure.
|INGREDIENT||PERCENTAGE BY WEIGHT|
|Calcium Carbonate||30 - 60|
|Polymer||10 - 30|
|Water||10 - 30|
|ZINC BORATE||3 - 7|
|Sodium Silicate||3 - 7|
|Fiberglass||0.5 - 1.5|
Typically Specified Divisions
|Thermal and Moisture Protection|
A. Typical Physical Properties
|Tack Free Time (ASTM C679-87):||8 to 12 minutes @73OF (23OC)|
|Expansion at 662O F (350OC):||2.0|
|Density:||12.0 lb./gal. (1,43 kg/L)|
|Adhesion:||Very good on all construction substrates|
|Application:||Caulk guns, trowel, spatula, pressurized pumps|
|Durometer:||(hardness) Shore A: 70|
|Solids:||80% by weight|
ASTM E 84: Flame Spread:
|2000 grams/min. from 1/4 in. (6,35 mm) nozzle at 50 psi
|Boeing Flow (Sag Characteristics):||<2 in. (5,08 cm)|
B. Firestopping Properties
Meets the criteria of ASTM E 814 Fire Test, tested under positive pressure. Consult current UL Fire Resistance Directory for systems listed under 3M Product Caulk. IC 15WB Caulk also meets ASTM E 84 (UL 723) and ASTM E 1966 (UL 2079).
FILL, VOID OR CAVITY MATERIALS FOR USE IN THROUGH-PENETRATION FIRESTOP SYSTEMS.
SEE UL DIRECTORY OF PRODUCTS CERTIFIED FOR CANADA AND UL FIRE RESISTANCE DIRECTORY 50L6.
If it's yellow and 3M, it's UL-tested:
It's not safe to assume that because a firestop caulk is red, it has been UL-tested for your applications. 3M offers the yellow firestop caulk that has been UL-tested to ASTM E 814 for the most common applications.
3M Fire Barrier IC 15WB Caulk is an affordable firestop caulk that helps you stay on budget. Our distinctive yellow firestop caulk makes inspections easier. Plus, our fire barrier sealant provides protection around typical pipe and cable penetrations through fire-rated construction.
Shown are examples of approved applications of IC 15WB Sealant. Additional drawings and details are available through your Authorized 3M Fire Protection Products Distributor.
- Metal Pipe/Conduit applications through nominal 10.75 in. (273,0 mm) outside diameter.
- Installed depth of IC 15WB Sealant 1/2 in. (12,7 mm).
- Refer to appropriate system for annular space requirement.
- Minimum 4 pcf mineral wool for backing.
- A 1/2 in. (12,7 mm) minimum depth of IC 15WB Sealant.
- All cases require mineral wool (safing) for packing.
- Refer to appropriate system for insulation thicknesses, annular space, mineral wool and sealant application.
3M Fire Barrier IC 15WB Sealant is stable under normal storage conditions and has a one year shelf life. Normal stock and stock rotation are recommended.
Store between 40OF (4OC) and 90OF (32OC) for maximum shelf life.
Keep from freezing during storage.
Warranty and Limited Remedy:
This product will be free from defects in material and manufacture for a period of ninety (90) days from date of purchase. 3M MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
User is responsible for determining whether the 3M product is fit for a particular purpose and suitable for user’s method of application. If this 3M product is proved to be defective within the warranty period stated above, your exclusive remedy and 3M’s sole obligation shall be, at 3M’s option, to replace or repair the 3M product or refund the purchase price of the 3M product.
Limitation of Liability:
Except where prohibited by law, 3M will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from the use of this 3M product, whether direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential, regardless of the legal theory asserted, including warranty, contract, negligence or strict liability.
Request A Quote
Did you know that we can give you a quote for most of our products, including shipping?
You can also call us toll free 1-833-3CABLEORG (1-833-322-2536)
Questions & Answers
- Hello, The 3M Fire Barrier IC 15WB Sealant has a continuous operating temperature of 120°F (48°C)so as long as the area that you are sealing does not exceed this temperature, then this will be a great product. However, if the area that you are sealing has a continuous operation temperature above that, we do offer other products with a higher temperature rating. Please give us a call at 866-222-0030 and we can discuss those other options and find the one that will best work for your application. Thank you,
Do you have any questions about this product?
Let our experts and customers resolve all your doubts