What's special about this flame retardant heat shrink tubing?
- 3 to 1 heat shrink ratio allows it to fit over the end of a large connector, but will still shrink down enough to seal to the cable
- Choose between standard and dual wall (adhesive lined) tube styles
- Optional “dual wall” heat shrink has adhesive lining that melts when heat is applied and re-solidifies after shrinking, creating a snug, watertight bond between the tubing and cable
- Available in several colors, making it easy to match your wiring scheme or color-code cables and connectors
- Can be purchased small packages or in bulk spools, so you get as much as you need
- Click for More Features
Our 3:1 heat shrink tubing is an effective way to insulate cables, provide extra strain relief, or professionally finish the ends of wire harnesses. The over-expanded tube slides easily over bulky connectors, and then shrinks down to 33% of its original diameter to fit snugly around both connectors and the wires attached to them. For an extra tight bond, choose adhesive heat shrink, which efficiently and attractively terminates cable snakes, and prevents fraying along the cut edges of expandable braided sleeving. Great for DIY home projects, automotive applications, and much more!
- High shrink ratio helps to seal and protect awkwardly-shaped objects with varying diameters
- Flame retardant and heat resistant to protect cables against damage from high temperatures
- Less than 10% shrinkage in the axial (lengthwise) direction, so you can better estimate the length of material you will need
- Passes UL VW-1, CSA OFT, -F- MARK for safety specifications
- 3:1 Heat Shrink is ROHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) Compliant
Adhesive Lined Tubing
The adhesive version of our 3:1 heat shrink features "dual-wall" design, which is made up of an outer polyolefin (heat shrink) tube lined with a interior coating of heat-activated adhesive. During application, as the outer tubing shrinks, the inner layer melts, flows, and then resets when cooled, helping the tubing to achieve a snug, moisture-resistant fit around wire harnesses, cables and connectors. We recommend it for applications that require strain relief, watertight seals, or wire color-coding (for example, to help identify positive and negative battery connections).
3:1 Heat Shrink Technical Specifications
Minimum Shrink Temperature: 120° C
|Internal Diameter Minimum (D)||Internal Diameter Maximum (d)||Minimum Total Wall Thickness (t)|
|PHYSICAL PROPERTY||TEST METHOD||TYPICAL VALUE|
|Tensile Strength (psi)||ASTM D 638||1500 min.|
|Elongation (%)||ASTM D 638||200 min.|
|Specific Gravity||ASTM D 792||1.35 max.|
|Low Temperature Flexibility -55°C||MIL-DTL-23053||no cracking|
|Heat Shock 4 hours at 250°C||MIL-DTL-23053||no cracking|
|Heat Resistance (175°C, 168 hrs.)
|ASTM D638||100 min.|
|Secant Modulus (psi)||ASTM D 882||2.5 x 10,000 max.|
|Longitudinal Change (%)||MIL-DTL-23053||+-5|
|Dielectric Strength||ASTM D 876||500 min.|
|Volume Resistivity||ASTM D 876||1.0 x 10,000 min.|
|Corrosion (175°C, 16hrs)||MIL-DTL-23053||no corrosion|
|Water Absorption (%)||ASTM D 570||0.5 max.|
|Fluid Resistance (23°C, 24 hrs.)
Tensile Strength (psi)
|Flammability||UL 224 VW-1||
|Shrink Temperature, Nominal||90°C|
|Application (Typical)||General Purpose Over Expanded|
|Continuous Operating Temperature||-55° to 135°C|
|UL Rating & File No. (Subject 224)||125°C, 600V
VW-1 (Jacket only for dual wall)
|UL Catalog No.||826 Suffix 3X|
MIL-I-23053/5 Class 1 and Class 3. MIL-R-46846, Type V
UL 224 125°C, 600 V, VW-1 File E48762 YDPU2
- View 3:1 Adhesive Heat Shrink Technical Specs
- View Military Specifications & Manufacturers' Cross Reference
- 3:1 Heat Shrink is ROHS Compliant
- Measurement Conversion Chart for Milimeters, Decimals and Fractions
LG heat shrinkable and non-shrinkable tubing products do not contain the compound Di (2-ethylhexyl) phthalate commonly referred to as DEHP.
In addition, LG heat shrinkable and non-shrinkable tubing products do not contain PFOS (perfluoroctane sulfonate), PFOA (perfluorocanoic acid) or Tinuvin 320.
- Instructions on how to use Heat Shrink Tubing
- Not sure what size to use? Click here
- How do we measure Heat Shrink?
Limiting Oxygen Index (LOI)
The ratio of how much oxygen - as compared to other gases - needs to be present in the air surrounding a particular material in order for that material to burn. The fact that Earth's normal atmospheric air contains around 21% oxygen is used a reference point when materials are classified into burn categories that are based on Limiting Oxygen Index. Substances that are combustible in air containing less than 21% oxygen are considered flammable, while those that burn in the range of anything greater than 21% but less than 28% are typically labeled "slow burning". Any material with an LOI that exceeds 28% is classified as self-extinguishing.
In the table below, you'll find a list of polymers commonly found in our heat shrink tubing and braided sleeving products, along with their LOIs and the burn categories each falls into.
|ECTFE (Ethylene chlorotrifluoroethylene)||Halar||64%||Self Extinguishing|
|Nylon 6:6||N/A||Ranges fron 24-29%||Slow Burning to Self Extinguishing|
|PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate)||Mylar (film), Dacron (fiber)||Ranges from 21-34%||Slow Burning to Self Extinguishing|
|Polypropylene (PP)||polythene (in the UK)||17%||Flammable|
|Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)||Teflon||95%||Self Extinguishing|
|Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)||N/A||Ranges from 45-49%||Self Extinguishing|
RELATED ARTICLES -
- Heat Shrink Tubing: How It Was Invented, and Why We Use It
- Terminate the ends of your Braided Sleeving? Click here
- The Handyman's Guide to Improvisation: 7 New Ways to Use Heat Shrink Tubing
HOW-TO CORNER -
- Instructions on how to use Heat Shrink Tubing. Click here
- Terminate the ends of your Braided Sleeving? Click here
- How do we measure Heat Shrink? View here
Did you know that we can give you a quote for most of our products, including shipping?
You can also call us toll free 866-222-0030
Questions & Answers
- Hello, Our 9mm (3/8?) size should work well as a label for your XLR cables. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to call us toll free at 866-222-0030
Do you have any questions about this product?
Let our experts and customers resolve all your doubts
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Easy To Use
- Quality Construction
As the owner of a business that does a lot of electrical work, I need to make sure that both my workers and my tools are top quality. This heat shrink tubing is without a doubt the best thing I can across because it puts a professional finish on endings that looks super neat and make things look professionally done - which they are. I like the product so much I've even use it for my own car!
- Primary use:
- Was this a gift?: