Where in the World is General Cable?
Incorporated in New Jersey in 1927 and now headquartered in Highland Heights, Kentucky, General Cable is the largest cable manufacturer in the United States, and the third largest in the world. Since its beginning in the 1920s, General Cable's innovative products and dedication to quality have played a major role in the growth, advancement, and success of numerous organizations and businesses around the world.
From their wartime effort support in the 1940s to the more recent integration of its wire and cable into world-renown monuments and museums, General Cable has, through its products, brought electricity and communications to many people, places, and events that are near and dear to us. Think you've never rubbed sleeves with General Cable? Think again. Here are just some of the many places that General Cable has appeared throughout its company history. We think you might recognize a few…
- In 1929, General Cable produced the United States' very first underwater cable, which was used for the Delaware River Crossing. This 75,000-volt cable was manufactured in sections that were 4,050 feet in length – the longest pieces of cable ever produced without the use of joints.
- In 1935, General Cable became the sole supplier of the1,626 miles of cable conductor used in a power transmission line that stretched all the way from the Hoover Dam to Los Angeles, California.
- During World War II, General Cable produced a series of morale-boosting posters for the Home-Front Campaign, which encouraged hard work, economy, and material conservation among government workers, armed forces, and war effort factories throughout the United States.
- In preparation for the D-Day invasion, General Cable became involved in Operation PLUTO (Pipe Line Under the Ocean) in 1943, manufacturing 140 miles of hollow tubing that was used to carry 120 million gallons of diesel fuel across the English Channel, from England to France.
- By 1945, General Cable had supplied 80% of Allied battlefield telephone wire, and half of the power and communications cable used by the US Navy.
- In 1967, General Cable supplied power cable to four man-made islands located off of Long Beach, California. These islands, created and owned by Texaco, Humble, Union, Mobile, and Shell, were used for offshore drilling, and also served to pump oil back to the mainland.
- 1970 found General Cable at Pike's Peak, Colorado, where 7 miles of their cable was routed under unpaved mountain roads, becoming the highest underground distribution line to bring electricity to three different facilities, one of which was a medical research lab at an elevation of 14,110 feet.
- In 1971, hundreds of miles of General Cable-produced power and communications cables were used to link NASA's control facilities with their Cape Canaveral, Florida launch platforms.
- In 1972, General Cable extended its reach to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport when the company both manufactured and installed 14 miles of high-voltage underground electrical distribution cable.
- In 1976, General Cable provided a mile long, high-speed fiber optic data link between the central data processing facility and the rocket engine test sites at the US Air Force Arnold Engineering Development Center in Tennessee.
- General Cable became part of the world's first lightwave telephone communications system in 1977, when they designed and produced a 5.6-mile long fiber optic cable, which was used to provide regular phone service to public customers in California.
- In 1986, wire manufactured by General Cable helped to light up the Statue of Liberty's Centennial Celebration.
- In 1991, General Cable met the needs of power, controlling and signaling applications in Spain's high-speed, Madrid-to-Seville AVE railway system with medium-voltage aluminum and armored cables.
- General Cable continued their work in Spain in 1992, by supplying infrastructural wire and cable for the Olympic Games in Barcelona, as well as the Seville World's Fair.
- In 1995, General Cable supplied all electrical wiring and communications cable for one of the world's largest museums, Te Papa Tongarewa, in Wellington, New Zealand.
- In 1996, General Cable-manufactured wire and cable were integrated into the Atlanta, Georgia stadium built to house the 1996 Olympic Games.
- In 1998, General Cable brought electricity and communications to Mount Rushmore's topmost guard station by manufacturing a copper and fiber optic hybrid cable whose jacket was custom designed to blend in with its natural surroundings, as well as to survive the harsh South Dakota weather.
- In 2000, General Cable went beyond the Cape Canaveral launch pads and began providing on-board fiber optic cables to be used for maintenance purposes within the International Space Station program.
- Television coverage of events in remote areas was made possible during the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City, Utah, when General Cable supplied portable power distribution cable that provided broadcast equipment with much-needed connections to diesel-powered generators.
- In 2003, General Cable furnished all of the communications cabling used at the Great American Ball Park, home of the Cincinnati Reds.
- When the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center of Cincinnati, Ohio required an advanced and future-minded cabling infrastructure in 2004, General Cable supplied the museum with their NextGen™ Biolite™ air-blown fiber system.