Filed under: Cables and Wires, Desks and Workstations
HDMI cables are used right across the world in home and business applications to create the perfect connection between two multimedia devices. But what exactly is HDMI? Here is some information about HDMI and what HDMI cables are used for that may help you to understand these cables better.
What is HDMI?
HDMI or as known High Definition Multimedia Interface is the only and first uncompressed, industry supported, all digital video and audio interface. HDMI delivers an interface between a video and audio source which can support standard, high definition or enhanced video along with multi-channel digital audio over a single cable. It can easily provide transmission of ATSC HDTV standards and is capable of supporting up to 8 channel digital audio while offering additional bandwidth which can accommodate for any future requirements of enhancements.
What Are HDMI Cables Used for?
A HDMI cable is a special cable which is designed to specially support HDMI connection from one device to another. This cable is generally for hardware and computer connections and is commonly used for connecting high definition DVRs to televisions. This cable is supported by most leading manufacturers of consumer electronics including, but not limited to, Toshiba, Sony, Philips, Panasonic, and Hitachi.
What Are The Benefits Of HDMI Cables
HDMI cables come with many benefits:
- One of the most common benefits of a HDMI cable is that it can easily provide uncompressed and superior quality of digital video and audio.
- Another benefit that a HDMI cable can deliver is that it provides a simple and single method of connecting two devices together without a large array of wiring and cables behind your devices.
- One more advantage of HDMI cables is that they provide a long life span as they don’t use up their full capacity when connected with devices, allowing for adjustments in the future.
- Lastly it provides a convenient and popular method of transmitting high definition content which is supported by many people allowing for easy sharing of audio and video.
Server racks can be beneficial for any application where servers are used in a business. They can provide a more aesthetically pleasing appearance than just having your servers just lying around anywhere. Here are some of the benefits of installing a server rack within your business setup.
Server Racks Increase Performance
Using server racks can easily help to increase your server’s performance for the better. They are perfect for helping to provide proper airflow ensuring that your server won’t overheat or be pushed against objects causing an obstruction in front of the air vents. Unlike having servers free and lose to move around, server racks are designed to easily keep your servers secure at all times to reduce the risk of movement. They are also customizable to cater for the specific needs of your business.
Easier to Maintain
Another benefit of using server racks is that they are easy to maintain. This is because everything is in order and organized appropriately and cables are bundled in neat and tidy bundles which allows for easy access. Server racks are designed with shelves that slide out or racks which give you even easier access to your servers without having to bump your head when trying to crawl into them. When integrated into your business they provide a cost effect solution for easy maintenance especially if you have to hire someone to come and check them.
Another added benefit of using a rack server is that is can provide a convenient method of increasing security to your servers. Most server rack feature locked panels which help to keep people from accessing the servers without your permission. You can also purchase rack servers without multiple locking options which allows for some servers or sections to be locked while others aren’t.
So if you own a business that uses many servers, then why not take a look at how beneficial a server rack can be to save you both time and money in the long run.
Filed under: Cables and Wires, Heat Shrink Tubing, Soldering
When it comes to using heat shrink tubing, it is important to correctly use it to ensure that your application will properly be installed according to your needs. Here are some simple tips when using heat shrink tubing.
How To Use Heat Shrink Tubing Properly.
- One of the first things that you need to do is measure the exposed joint length which needs to be covered by the tubing. When you have properly measured your exposed joint it is wise to add another 1 inch to either side of it to get a proper fit and an overall length. For example: if your joint is roughly 1″ in length then you will have a total of 3″.
- Take some sharp scissors and cut the tubing needed to the length required. When you have cut it simply slide the piece of tubing over the wiring that need to be joined together by either soldering or twisting the wiring together. Please note: do not have your shrink tubing near any heat source, especially when soldering as this may cause your tube to shrink prematurely.
- Once you have connected the wiring, simply slide the tubing over the finished joint once it is cooled (if soldered). Then centre it over the electrical connection and wiring so it is even on both sides.
- Next take your heat gun and plug it in allowing it to warm up. Once it is ready carefully place it near the tubing running it back and forth until the tubing has shrunk around the wiring. Please note: If smoke arises when heating the shrink tubing pull the heat gun back slightly to reduce burning of the tube.
- Lastly you will need to let the heat shrink tubing cool before wrapping a continuous round of electrical tape around the tube covering one end to the other. When wrapping it around simply start about ½ an inch from the shrink tubing on the wire so it can create a water right application with a good mechanical sealing solution.
So if you are looking to use heat shrink tubing with your application, why not follow these simple tips to create the perfect tight seal and cover for your wires each and every time.
Fire kills many people each year, whether its bushfires or general house fires, there are a few things you can do to help reduce the risk of fire hazards within your home. Here are some safety tips to follow to help prevent fire hazard risks.
Fire Hazard Tips For Home Safety
Tip #1 – Heater Space: One of the first things that need to be addressed for your home is creating a safe barrier around your heating units. Heaters cause a lot of heat output and normally won’t built up to high levels if there is adequate space around your heater. When there is clothing and other items placed right next to the heater this can cause the heat to build up against these objects which can then result in fire. This is why it is important to move all items away from your heater to reduce fire risks.
Tip #2 – Smokers: Smoking inside is common for many people although it is important to not smoke in bed or when you are falling asleep during the day or night. Leaving cigarettes carelessly around your home can lead to a fire occurring causing death or serious injury.
Tip #3 – Cooking: When cooking to reduce the risk of a fire occurring it is best to move all combustibles away from your cooking area. It is also wise to wear tight fitted clothing instead of long sleeves which may hang and catch alight especially when using gas stoves with open flames. You can also turn all handles in on your pots to reduce overhang. If you find when cooking your grease catches fire then simply place a lid over it to help smother the flames. After this, make sure you turn off the burner.
Tip #4 – Halogen Lights: When positioning lighting such as lamps around your home it is also best to keep a space around them and make sure they aren’t near drapes or very low ceiling areas. Halogen lights can heat up after long use and may cause a fire hazard especially when left on while you’re away for long periods of time. Always turn your lights and lamps of when leaving for a long period of time to prevent a fire from starting.
So to help protect your family from the risk of fire hazards why not take these simple tips into consideration to make sure you and they are safe all year round.
Caulking is done across American to help with improving energy efficiency when it comes to cooling and heating your home. This can help with saving lots of money especially when many leaks are found. Here are some tips when caulking that you may need to consider to improve the installation of caulk in your application.
Silicone VS Acrylic Caulk When Caulking
Selecting the right caulking agent is important when looking to seal holes and leaks in your home. The most beneficial sealant that should be used when caulking up holes is 100% silicone. The reason for this is that silicone is designed as a permanent waterproof material and features flexible properties. Unlike acrylic caulk which can crack and shrink over time, silicone caulk can provide a tight plug and seal which will set in place perfectly for long term use.
Find All Leaks.
Although this may seem common sense, but it is important to find all the leaks within your home and not just the ones around plumbing, electrical wiring, windows and doors. When finding leaks, make sure to also check the crawl spaces, basement, and attics. Leaks in areas such as these can cause larger problems than that of windows and doors.
If this is your first time using silicone caulk then you may be unaware of the use of a caulk gun. Caulk guns are specially designed to hold and dispense the cartridge for your jobs. Caulk cartridges can’t be squeezed, they are not designed to work this way. If you are in need of a squeezable caulk package then ask your hardware store for options.
Clean Area Before Applying Caulk.
Another thing that you will need to consider is cleaning the area before applying the caulk to ensure that the caulk will stick properly. If there is old caulk it is important to remove it before applying new caulk. To remove the old caulk you can use a razor blade. When the old caulk is removed it may strip off mildew or mold that may have formed helping to clean the area. With the use of rubbing alcohol, house-hold cleaner, or a wire brush, the area will need to be cleaned to ensure it will be ready for the new silicone caulk.
Allow Drying Time
When applying the caulk to your application always make sure that you allow for at least 24 to 48 hours of drying time before it can be exposed to water. Check the package and instructions for your caulk for more information on the drying time of your specific caulk.
Filed under: Cable Management, Cables and Wires, Electrical
When it comes to installing power strips and extension cords it is important to install them correctly to ensure that they not only function accordingly but also provide a safe means of power for any application. Here are some of the don’ts of power strip and extension cord usage you may need to consider when installing them.
Don’ts Of Power Strip and Extension Cord Use
1) Extension cords are designed for temporary use only and should only be used for short periods of time. Never use an extension cord for weeks or even months at a time as this may cause harm to your devices and may result in overheating or overuse of the cord.
2) Power strips and other uninterruptible power supplies should never be used if they don’t have a resettable circuit breaker integrated into the design. Circuit breakers are designed to cut power instantly to the compatible devices causing them to avoid the risk of overloads. If your power strip doesn’t feature a resettable circuit breaker then it is best to replace it with a newer version for added safety.
3) Another no, no of power strip use is daisy chaining your power cords. Daisy chain is the method of plugging one device into another and then into another off the same power supply outlet. This form of installation can cause lowered power functions throughout the installation and can cause your devices to overheat.
4) Another thing that should not be done when installing a power strip is to overload it. Overloading your power strip with multiple devices running at once can cause the circuit breaker to trip. If this happens do not force the installation to function as it may cause it to overload and overheat resulting in a fire. You should also not cover any electrical boxes or strips as this may also cause the device to overheat resulting in a fire.
5) Lastly this may be common sense, although you should never use any sort of electrical device near moisture or wet areas. The risk of electrocution is extremely high when used in combination with water and may result in a fatality. Always use your power strips, extension cords and other electronics in dry areas.
Wondering how to take the perfect Selfie? Here are 7 great tips for how to make the partnership between you and your camera.
Seven tips for the perfect selfies:
1. Be confident.
2. Take a picture of yourself first with the front facing camera.
3. Make sure you have good lighting
4. Make sure nothing weird is going on in the background. Also if it’s in your bathroom, put away the drying underwear.
5. Steady your arm
6. Take a couple of photo’s. Don’t be afraid to take more than one photo, so you can choose the best one.
7. Use the filters on your phone to edit.
When you have multiple devices it can be hard to control them all in a user friendly manner. If you own multiple Leviton devices and find this is the case, then you may just need the Leviton® Vizia RF+™ LCD Display Remote Control with Timer. Great for controlling up to 128 compatible devices it provides an easy and user friendly method of control for all your applications.
The Benefits of The Leviton LCD Remote Control
Benefit #1 – Optimal Control: One of the first benefits of this remote control is that is provides high control over all your Leviton Vizia RF+ devices. This remote control delivers a user friendly operation and is made with an easy to grip design which is easy to use for long term applications. It is perfect for controlling up to 128 devices and comes with a 5 year warranty.
Benefit #2 – LCD Display: Another benefit of this great remote control is that it provides an easy to read LCD display which promotes high visibility throughout the day or night. This controller features a step-by-step electronic installation checklist guide and is designed to provide enhanced programming options with the simple press of a button. The LCD screen is bright and can deliver easy operation with optimal viewing properties.
Benefit #3 – Timer Settings: One more great feature about this Leviton remote control is that it offers an astronomical clock and timer which allows you to easily create 64 different timed events. These events allow you to provide optimal programming for turning your lights on and off when needed for added convenience.
Benefit #4 – Security Feature: Another great benefit about this product is that it features a security setting which allows for it to easily secure the configurations to protect from unwanted or accidental changes when used. This can be beneficial especially when a certain setting is constantly used.
So if you own Leviton devices and want one easy method of keeping them under control then why not try the Leviton® Vizia RF+™ LCD Display Remote Control with Timer and see whether it suits your control needs.
Filed under: Desks and Workstations, Power and Data Distribution
When it comes to running your devices such as computers, desk lights, printer and more, it can be a problem when connecting them to the power especially when the main power socket is a fair distance away from the devices and your desk. One of the best solutions for this problem is the use of a desk power outlet.
What Is A Desk Power Outlet?
A desk power outlet is similar to a power board but is integrated into your office desk. This outlet is designed to be integrated and built into the desk or installed underneath the desk ready for you to use with your electrical devices.
Things To Consider When Buying A Desk Outlet
When looking to purchase a desk outlet there are a few things that you may need to take into consideration to ensure your setup will work to your advantage. Here are some tips when buying a desk outlet.
Built In or Underdesk: One of the first things to consider is choosing between the inbuilt versions of the under desk versions of desk outlets. The inbuilt desk outlets are designed to provide a permanent power solution which can be accessed in a quick and easy manner from the top of your desk. These are generally installed on or within the desk and can’t be moved once installed.
The under desk models provide a more discreet method of a power source which can be easily accessed from below your desk. Under desk power outlets free up space on your desk providing more room to work without any interference. These are great for installing anywhere underneath the desk for added versatility.
Number Of Outlets: Another thing to consider before purchasing your desk outlet is working out how many power outlets are needed and whether you need any other connections. Some desk power outlets feature a number of socket ports which can cater between 2-6 outlets. Choosing the right amount of outlets can save you problems later especially when connecting multiple devices at once.
Data Outlets: Depending on your application and setup you may also need to work out whether you need any other data ports. Some of the desk outlets provide data port outlets which are great for installing different devices in the one place. These are designed to offer a more versatile solution to both power and data setup at the one place.
So when looking to purchase your own desk power outlet why not take these simple tips into consideration to make sure you purchase the one you need for your application.
The number 1 reason refrigerator’s are returned back to the store is because it doesn’t fit the space at home.
How to avoid this mistake? Here are the questions you must answer before going out to buy a refrigerator
1. Measure twice, buy once
2. Mark out any restricting obstacles, larger fridges have a wider door swing while double door side-by-side refrigerators have narrower doors.
3. How much space do you need? Is Energy saving a priority? What about a Water and Ice Dispenser? Will you need door bins sized for gallon milk jugs?
4. And most importantly, an easy delivery and return option offered by the store.