Nelson Firestop Bricks
Firestop Brick is ideal for applications where there might be a need to re-penetrate an area, and is easy to re-position. When the brick comes into contact with fire, the brick material expands within the opening, forming a solid char that prevents through-penetration of the fire for up to 2 hours. Because of its versatility, this economical, durable, labor-saving firestop material is ideal for cable or cable tray penetrations.
For maximum effectiveness, install the brick into a clean opening (no grease, dirt or other sediment). Unless otherwise specified, pack the bricks into openings and around penetrating items, being sure to fill in any empty spaces. The brick should always lay in the center of the opening, and can be cut to accommodate the space.
Nelson Fire Brick is designed to seal large penetrations or just a single hole.
- Elastomeric properties make it easy to install, and it's repenetrable for those times when you need to shift, repair or reposition your firestop
- Non-shrinking material assures you no gaps will suddenly “appear” once the job is finished
- Asbestos-free, non-toxic product is safer for both the installer and other people in the vicinity
- Will not lose its effectiveness as it sits on your shelf waiting to be used - excellent shelf life
- One year manufacturer warranty
- Floor slabs
- Fire-rated building partitions
- Cable trays
- Bus duct
- Cable bundles
- Metal conduit
NOTE: This product is not combustible and does not contribute to the intensity of a fire. When involved in a fire, this material may decompose and produce irritating vapors, acrid smoke, and toxic gases.
If heated to decomposition, can produce CO, NO, HCN, HCI and or HF
Keep out of reach of children.
Wash hands after handling and before smoking or eating.
This product is regarded as an “article” as defined under OSHA Regulation 29 CFR 1910.1200 (c). Under normal working conditions and use, the physical form of this product precludes exposure to a hazardous chemical.
|Relative Vapor Density (air = 1)||n/a|
|Evaporation Rate (n-BuAc = 1)||n/a|
|Solubility in Water||Not Soluble|
|Vapor Pressure, mm Hg @ 20° C||n/a|
|Dimensions||2" H x 5" W x 8" L|
|Intumescent Activation Temperature||> 300° F|
|Test Compliances||ASTM E-814, UL 1479, UL W-L-4061, UL W-J-4058|
|Storage / Handling||Stored in dry, covered locations|
|Shelf Life||No indication of limitations|
|Flash Point||> 800° F / 426° C|
Firestop Brick MSDS (PDF)
|NFS-AA834||Nelson Firestop Brick||2" H x 5" W x 8" L||6 per pack||1.48 lbs|
General Installation Instructions
Refer to the actual installation guide in the Nelson catalog or the applicable system in the UL Fire Resistance Directory.
For Cable Tray application:
- Make sure area is clean. There should be no foreign particles on cable tray and cables
- Apply Nelson Firestop Putty (separate item) within spaces between cables on both sides of wall
- Install Bricks with 5 inch dimension projecting through opening. Polyethylene film is applied to top and bottom surfaces of brick to aid in ease of installation
- Cut Bricks as necessary to provide a tight fit between opening and cable tray
- Stack Bricks in rows to completely fill all remaining space and press the top row tightly for a secure fit.
- Firestop Brick Technical Data (PDF)
- Firestop Brick Installation Guidelines (PDF)
- Firestop Brick MSDS (PDF)
- Creating a Fire Protection Plan for Your Business
- 10 Ways to Prevent Hazardous Energy Injuries in the Workplace
- CableOrganizer.com’s Top 10 Products for Fire Protection
- Which Firestop Product Should I Use for My Application?
What can make this page better?
We do everything we can think of to provide you with the product specs, images and ordering info you need, but if weíre missing something or still have room to improve, please let us know. Your comments, suggestions and questions are the best tools we have for serving you better!