Tips and Advice on Label Fonts and Sizes
- Brother Sells Wide Variety of Label Sizes
- Label Width Can Determine Your Label Machine Choice
- Dymo Offers Label Printers With Fun Fonts
- Examples of Winning Labels
- What Great Labels Can Do
- Custom Size Labels
- Label Width Can Affect The Cost of Cartridges
- Color Label Printer Colors
- In Search of the Right Label Font
- Getting Your Color Just Right
Brother Sells Wide Variety of Label Sizes
If you are looking for a variety of label choices, look no further than Brother.
Brother sells an unusually wide variety of labels, ranging from file-folder labels to continuous rolls. Seven pre-cut sizes include address, shipping, and even optical-disc labels with a hole in the center.
A built-in manual paper cutter lets you easily cut continuous roll labels to size. Street prices for the rolls are around $10 to $20.
Label Width Can Determine Your Label Machine Choice
For example, in the Dymo line of label makers, there are some machines that offer three different label widths such as one-fourth of an inch, three-eighths of an inch and one half an inch. However, another machine offers five label widths such as on-fourth of an inch, three-eighths of an inch, one half an inch, three-fourths of an inch and 1 inch. The various widths come in assorted colors.
Dymo Offers Label Printers With Fun Fonts
Perhaps you're tired of the standard "Times" font and want to use something more lively and with pizzazz. If you know you want a Dymo brand, there are several on the market that offer plenty of font choices. Here are a few, courtesy of Dymo:
- LabelMANAGER 450 works independently - or with your PC and DYMO software - as a powerful heavy-duty label printer for logos, graphics and more. This prints up to five lines per label: in seven fonts, 5 heights and 12 styles, with seven background patterns.
- LabelMANAGER PC II : connected to your PC and its USB port, this heavy-duty electronic printer lets your imagination take hold in the form of permanent, high-quality labels up to 1 inch wide. Use the label design software to create colorful, eye-catching labels from your favorite software programs in a variety of fonts, with bolds, italics, outlines, shadow, symbols and graphics.
Examples of Winning Labels
A label can really be a work of art. If you are looking to make a statement or sell a product, label fonts and label widths are important, as well as what material you use and how you use it.
Designing a great label can be an award-winning experience, as some designers found during this year's International Label Awards.
Take these examples from this year's winners of the International Label Awards as inspiration for your future labels. Here's what the judges had to say about the award-winning labels in three different categories:
- Wines and spirits category: (for Bombay Sapphire gin label) the winner in this category used UV flexo and screen processes. The use of very well-applied hot foil and varnish gives a nice tactile feel to the label. The clean and sharp type gives the label a very neat appearance.
- Food category: (for hazelnut chocolate label) An impressive label contrasting the colors and white lettering against a black background. The fine type is very sharp and the decorative borders very well produced. A good example of letterpress printing.
- Industrial category: (for Tikkurila Taika) The pearlescent polypropylene substrate gave the label a silvery finish. The subtle shades produced by the clever use of CMYK and a matte varnish gave a delicate touch to the appearance of the label which also adds to its shelf appeal. The use of UV flexo shows what can be achieved with the flexo process. This label also included a peel and read feature because of the lack of space label for important information.
What Great Labels Can Do
If you are pondering the design of a label - what label fonts, label sizes, label widths, should you use? And you want it to be both functional and eye-catching, consider the following factors the judges of this year's International Label Awards used in determining award-winning labels.
- Is it more than just a decoration?
- Its effectiveness as a marketing tool
- What security features does it provide?
- Can it be used in a logistics environment?
- Does it provide: customer convenience, protection, versatility and functionality?
Custom Size Labels
If you need to make an specialized label that is just too big to make on a machine, Dymo can manufacture a wide variety of custom size labels.
Dymo can make labels that measure from a maximum label length of 9.75 inches and a maximum label width of 2.3125 inches.
Dymo labels can also be designed in round or polygon shapes as well. Talk to your CableOrganizer.com professional to discuss procedure and options.
Label Width Can Affect The Cost of Cartridges
Depending on the width of the finished label (0.25 to 1 inch), Dymo cartridges can cost as much as $25 per 23-foot roll. For example, this is the case with Dymo's LabelManager PC. Be prepared to pay more for larger labels. If you're unsure of size or quantity, talk to your CableOrganizer.com customer service representative for more information.
Color Label Printer Colors
Depending on your color label printer choice, tape refills can come in multiple colors.
Do you fancy gold writing on a clear background? Or perhaps you'd like to stick with the popular black writing on a white background?
Some label printers will print five sizes of type in seven styles on one or two lines. And you can purchase refill tapes in colors such as gold, silver, pink or blue.
Refill tape could be a half inch wide or even 1 inch wide. Look for label-making devices that have a built-in automatic cutter because it will slice the tape to the appropriate length versus using handheld scissors.
In Search of the Right Label Font
If you are in search of just the right label font, check out the Web site typenow.net, which offers an impressive selection of free themed fonts from your favorite movies, television shows, musicians, video games, and more. Use these fonts to create your labels for management and organization, or for a themed party, website, newsletter, etc.
Getting Your Color Just Right
The most common reason for getting unacceptable color from your color printer or color label printer is printing on one kind of paper with the printer set for another kind, according to PC Magazine.
To combat this, many current printers have a paper sensor. By default, the printer driver is set to detect the paper type and use the right color tables for that paper. However, be aware that the paper sensor doesn't always pick the right paper type, particularly for printers that have settings for similar kinds of paper. The best strategy is to set the paper type manually and use the automatic setting only as a fail-safe in case you forget.
Some Suggested Label Makers and Tapes
|Brady Label Printers
|Brother P-Touch® Label Printers
|DYMO® Label Printers
|K-Sun LABELShop® Label Printers
|Brother Replacement Labels
|DYMO® Replacement Tapes