3M™ Fire Barrier Mortar
Application of Fire Barrier Mortar
3M™ Fire Barrier Mortar is a lightweight cementitious firestop product. It is available in poly/paper bags and ready for mixing with potable water. 3M™ Fire Barrier Mortar does not contain MMMF (man-made-mineral-fibers) or asbestos and does not require fibrous damming materials. 3M™ Fire Barrier Mortar contains binders free of portland cement and therefore has greater resistance to common concrete poisons than PC bound products.
For use in mechanical and electrical penetration firestopping.
- Bonds to Itself: proven prior and during fire testing, resulting in proven and tested repair procedures
- MMMF and Asbestos Free
- Polypropylene-Fiber Reinforced: reduces cracking during cure and firing
- Pumpability: allows faster installations, resulting in labor savings on larger projects and reduced installation time
- Tested with a large variety and thickness range (up to 6”/15 cm) of pipe coverings and jackets
- Excellent Heatsink: resulting in absorption of heat from penetrants, reducing the likelihood of ignition of combustible matter on the unexposed side of the assembly
- Compression Strengths: are between 186 and 790 PSI (1.3 to 5.45 N/mm2), depending on the water/cement ratio (1 part water to 2.5 parts powder to 1:4)
- Tested with 3’ x 6” (91 cm x 15 cm) Cable Trays, with 1C1000MCM Power Cables and Other Cables up to 45% Actual (100% Visual) Tray Fill
- Tested with 3’ x 6” (91 cm x 15 cm) Aluminum and Galvanized Steel Ladder Trays
- Tested with a 4500A bus duct with Copper or Aluminum Bars
- Tested and Certified for Use with “Slip-Covers”: resulting in the ability to isolate and permit movement of penetrates without rupture of the seal
Sample specifications are provided under separate cover. CAUTION: firestopping is ideally specified under Section 07270, as a separate work scope tendered by specialty, 3M trained, applicators to the general contractors. Specifiers are advised to instruct the chief designer to provide clear identification of wall ratings in the form of overlays on separate drawings.
Related Sections of Work are:
03300 Concrete Form work
04200 Unit Masonry
07900 Joint Sealers
05300 Metal Decking
07250 Spray Applied Fireproofing
08900 Glazed Curtain Wall
09100 Metal Support Systems
09250 Gypsum Board
15250 Basic Mechanical Materials& Methods
15250 Mechanical Insulation
15300 Fire Protection
15550 Heat Generation
16050 Basic Electrical Materials & Methods
Specifiers are advised to search these sections for overlaps, in order to avoid problems that will otherwise appear at tender time and during execution.
Refer to CSC TEK-AID Section 07270 Firestopping, Master Specification for comprehensive firestop specification.
|Appearance:||solid powder with white particles and plastic fibers|
|Bulk Powder Density:||37-57 lb/ft 3or 600-910 kg/m3 range between loose and compacted powders|
|Wet Densities:||68-119 lb/ft 3 or 1,100-1,900 kg/m 3depending on water/powder ratio and placement methods|
|Cured Densities:||43-87 lb/ft 3 700-1,400 kg/m3 depending on water to powder ratio and placement methods|
|Compression Strengths:||187-790 PSI or 1.3-5.45 N/mm 2 depending on water to powder ratio and placement methods|
Tested per ASTM E814 and CAN/ULC-S115 for up to 2 hour fire resistance, F and T (F, FT, FH and FTH)
Listed for use in openings as follows:
- 3’ x 6” (91 cm x 15 cm) cable trays, aluminum or steel
- 1C1000MCM full cabling of 3’ (91 cm) trays
- 45% actual (100% visual) cabling (power, instrumentation, communication)
- Bus Duct: up to 111.3 in2 or 21” x 5.3” (0.07m2 or 53.3 cm x 13.5 cm), 4500A copper, 3400A aluminum bars
- 3” (76 mm) copper DWV/L or sched. 10S or heavier steel piping
- 1” to 6” (2.5 cm to 15 cm) pipe covering made of rock wool, calcium silicate or perlite
- ASJ, 0.01” (0.25 mm) stainless steel or 0.016” (0.41 mm) aluminum jacketing
- Tested with 8” (20 cm) steel piping + 6” (15 cm) pipe covering + 20” (51 cm) diameter penetrants
- 22.7 ft² (2.11 m²) openings
- 280 lb (127 kg) concrete block loading test – passed
- Can be re-entered (re-entry and resealing performed on specimen prior to fire testing)
- “soft spots” made of Temperlite™ (by Knauf Fiber Glas GmbH) insulation sized 4” x 4” x 5” (10 cm x 10 cm x 12.5 cm)
- “slip-covers” consisting of 1/8” (3.2 mm) ceramic paper held on with ordinary duct tape and embedded in 3M Fire Barrier Mortar
Please Note: These products ship in 5 Business days
|PART #||DESCRIPTION||PACKAGE SIZE||COLOR||PRICE|
|FP-3M-FBM||Fire Barrier Mortar Bag||44 lb. Bag||Blue or Gray|
|FP-3M-MPP-4S||3M™ Moldable Putty + Pads||1/8" x 7" x 7" - 3.5oz||Red-Brown|
|FP-3M-STIX||3M™ Moldable Putty + Stix||1.4" diameter x 11in - 20oz||Red-Brown|
3M Fire Barriers Mortar cannot be installed in below freezing temperatures. Common precautions in use for work with other cementitious substances apply. See Installation Instructions.
3M Fire Barrier Mortar is used to seal mechanical and electrical service penetrations in fire-resistance rated wall and floor assemblies of ratings up to 3h in Canada, 2h in the United States of America.
FILL, VOID OR CAVITY MATERIALS FOR USE IN THROUGH-PENETRATION FIRESTOP SYSTEMS.
SEE UL DIRECTORY OF PRODUCTS CERTIFIED FOR CANADA AND UL FIRE RESISTANCE DIRECTORY 50L6.
- Installation Techniques of Fire Barrier Mortar
- Certificate of Compliance PDF
- Material Safety Data Sheet PDF
RELATED ARTICLES -
- Creating a Fire Protection Plan for Your Business
- Which Firestop Product Should I Use for My Application?
- CableOrganizer.com’s Top 10 Products for Fire Protection
- History of 3M Corporation